1+1 media reports on the results of the fight against piracy in 2018
The 1+1 media group, as one of the main participants in the television market of Ukraine, which takes an active part in its development, presented a report on its own anti-piracy activities in 2018. Media Group is actively implementing a strategy for the protection of content and the rights of its producers, within the framework of which, during 2018, it carried out a number of actions to find and prosecute individuals, companies and streaming websites that were engaged in illegal distribution of content.
As of the end of the year, the 1+1 media group:
- sent 103 claims to offenders;
- signed 48 agreements with software service providers (violators) as a result of peaceful settlement of the dispute;
- together with the lawyers of Smartsolutions Law Group, a partner of 1+1 media in the fight against piracy, initiated 17 new criminal proceedings (the current total number of criminal proceedings is more than 30), within which 10 expert studies and 6 authorized searches were conducted;
- together with employees of the Cyber Police Department of the National Police of Ukraine conducted 11 determinations of violations of intellectual property rights;
- submitted the first 2 statements regarding violations related to the activity of cardsharing services.
As part of the criminal proceedings opened based on the statements of the media group, the police announced suspicions against 3 persons and directed 1 indictment to be considered in court based on the results of the pre-trial investigation.
"We at 1+1 media aim not only to provide viewers with access to a high-quality television product, but also strictly adhere to the market principles of conducting business and actively fight against piracy," commented Yaroslav Pakholchuk, executive director and director of pay television at 1+1 media . "We are working on the development of the pay-TV market, and we are trying to prevent cybercriminals from hindering this."
Despite the actions of criminals, as a result of the work of the media group in 2017 and 2018, there was a significant increase in demand on the domestic pay TV market. Thus, from 2017 to 2018, the number of subscribers to the pay TV market increased from 4.7 million to 5.1 million. In 2019, as a result of encoding the satellite signal of TV channels, according to calculations by 1+1 media, this figure will reach 7.3 million subscribers.
"At the moment, we are observing positive changes in the attitude towards paid content: awareness and responsibility are gradually growing, more and more providers and viewers understand that they have to pay for the use of intellectual property," Vyacheslav Mienko, deputy general director of 1+1 media for legal issues, noted. - We are proud that to a large extent this is the result of the joint work of 1+1 media and Smartsolutions - both in the field of combating piracy and in educational work."
To protect the rights of content producers and owners, the 1+1 media group, together with other Ukrainian rights holders, joined the Public Union "Clean Sky Initiative". Thanks to this association, they jointly develop the market of legal audiovisual content in the domestic media space and actively fight against sites and providers that use content protected by intellectual property rights without the permission of the rights holders.